QUALIFICATIONS AND JOB DESCRIPTION
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Due to COVID-19, you may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption.
The British Consulate General in Istanbul is part of a world-wide network representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking to recruit a Business Support Manager.
This role is part of a regional network managed from the Department for International Trade (DIT) at the British Consulate General in Istanbul, Turkey. We are recruiting for a Business Support Officer, to form part of the regional support unit which reports to HM Trade Commissioner for Eastern Europe and Central Asia (EECAN) focussing primarily on Governance, the people plan and regional communications.
The Department for International Trade (DIT) has overall responsibility for promoting UK trade across the world and attracting foreign investment to the UK. We are a specialised government body with responsibility for negotiating international trade policy, supporting business, as well as delivering an outward-looking trade diplomacy strategy.
The HM Trade Commissioner for the EECAN region in Istanbul, has set up a small regional unit to provide both the Trade Commissioner and our 14 regional offices with marketing, finance and other support. This position is specifically designed to provide office management and business support to the Her Majesty’s Trade Commissioner Deputy (HMTCD) and the Eastern Europe and Central Asia Network hub team in Istanbul, to support the delivery of the Regional Trade Plan. Some travel may be required with this role.
Main responsibilities will include:
25% Office management, supporting the People Plan, Learning and Development
· Diary oversight for the HMTCD (HM Trade Commissioner Deputy) and Chief Operating Officer;
· Booking flights and hotel accommodation to support the Regional Trade Plan;
· Developing and updating the EECAN People Plan with support of the Chief Operating Officer/HR Business Partner and overseeing delivery of activity;
· Managing the Learning and Development committee meetings to award staff bids and managing L&D budgets;
· Staff inductions, on boarding administration, visits and other activities e.g. ensuring smooth running of the bonus scheme.
50% Internal communications & events logistics
· Drafting internal communication products e.g. an EECAN newsletter to communicate and promote the DIT L&D offer to staff, internal webinars programme, EECAN forward look of activities, regional performance appraisal and objective setting programme;
· Providing ad hoc business support for posts within the EECAN region that do not have DIT resource. For example, helping to organise a visiting trade mission, an inward mission to the UK or a VIP/senior visit. This work will be undertaken from Turkey although there is some scope for travel if the employee would like to;
· Internal communications and learning and development events such as EECAN wide staff conference or training events in the region/UK.
25% finance support for EECAN
· Supporting the finance officer and deputising on their behalf as necessary;
· Assisting with financial administration, including purchases, procurement and accurate budget monitoring.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
· Fluency in English (both oral and written);
· Enjoy administration and keeping a team in order;
· Excellent organisational skills;
· Ability to work under pressure;
· Good written communication skills;
· Good day-to-day knowledge of excel;
· Ability to manage and prioritise workload;
· Ability to manage time effectively, work quickly and prioritise;
· High attention to detail;
· Good IT skills and familiarity with MS Office applications.
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
· Written communications experience;
· Organisation of events experience;
· Financial management and budgeting skills;
· Experience of project management;
· Previous experience of working in an organisation/administrative support role.
Seeing the Big Picture, Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Delivering at Pace
- Application deadline 25 June 2020
- Grade A2 (L)
- Type of Position Full-time, Fixed term, with possibility of renewal
- Region Europe, Eastern Europe & Central Asia
- Country/Territory Turkey
- Location (City) Istanbul
- Type of Post British Consulate General
- Starting monthly salary (USD) 1,447.61 gross
- Start Date 1 August 2020
Other benefits and conditions of employment
This is a full-time fixed term contract for 5 working days (36.25 hours net) per week, until the end of March 2022 with the possibility of extension by mutual agreement.
The monthly salary for this position is 1,447.61 USD gross A2 level. Please note that staff members are responsible for paying any income tax required by local law.
All applicants should have the right to live and work in Turkey. The British Consulate does not sponsor for work permits.
The successful candidate will be subject to professional background check, security clearance and a probation period of 2 months.
Staff recruited locally by the British Consulate General in Istanbul are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Turkish employment law.
British Diplomatic Missions are equal opportunities employers, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference. We are committed to developing a learning organisation that enhances business performance, maximises our staff’s potential and encourages staff innovation and development.